Friday, October 11, 2013

Fiction Packet #2: Internal

One of the stories in the fiction packet that really caught my attention was the first story called Internal. This was by Brian Evensan fro Contagion. I thought it was interesting to read for a couple reasons.
First off, it was a story about a guy who was given the job to pretty much spy on one of the doctor's brothers. It was interesting to me because he didn't know much about this doctor as is and then he was given the task to spy on a the guy's brother whom he didn't know much about either. It was strange that when the guy went to go spy on the brother, he wasn't given much instruction. He had no idea which apartment out of the two the brother lived in or what he looked at. He went into this not knowing much. If it was me, I don't think I'd be very comfortable with that. The fact that all the apartments had pretty much nothing in it was interesting to me too,
The second reason this story interested me was because of how the guy who was doing the spying seemed to have gone crazy while he was on his assignment. When he finally did find the brother to spy on, the brother almost seemed to be observing the original observer. With how the guy reacts, it seems as though he is going crazy. Especially with how he sees an eye in one of the holes in the wall and now he wants to make sure that he isn't able to be observed. He sleeps next to the holes and even thinks of a way to make sure that the brother isn't able to observe him; such as poking his eye with a pen (but the brother might do the same thing back to him so he decides not to).
Overall this story sort of humored me. I thought it was interesting how this guy seemed to lose his sense of self and start to become crazy and paranoid during his observation. I do wonder, though, if the brother was really sent there to observe the guy who thought he was sent there to observe the brother. Confusing, I know. But it makes me wonder what the true intent was for this whole observation process.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, good responses here the past couple of weeks, maybe expand and include more examples from the texts.

    ReplyDelete