Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Microficiton

So far I like fiction writing soooooo much more than poetry. My favorite story so far has to be Internal. I like how when you read it there are two different possibilities that run through your mind. The first one is that there is only one intern and they are sent on 2 different assignments. But then when you really look into the details you can see that there are 2 interns. I like that it makes you have to think about the reading but at the same time the concept isn't too far fetched to where you can't understand it. I can understand this so much easier than poetry, even though I still do struggle with fiction sometimes.

I like that on pg 68-69 of the reading the second intern thinks about the possibility that Kagen's brother could possibly be writing about him. I think that in this short story this was the first time that the intern really does think about the possibility that he is being watched too. On pg 69 I also found it interesting that he copied a page of notes onto a sheet of paper and gave it to Kagen's brother. I still don't really get why he'd do that since I thought that the intent was to not let the brother know that he is being watched. That seems like a pretty hard thing to do though considering there are holes in the wall that are pretty clear from both sides so each person knows they are being watched.

We had discussed this in class on Thursday but I still find this one part really interesting. On pg 70 it says "There, through the pen's casing: eight last dim drops of ink. Soon I will only have blank pages as well." When we talked about it we had discussed how it represents his sanity. So when the intern runs out of "ink" really he will have lost his sanity. I think that it's really interesting to represent your sanity by the amount of ink you have left. When you read it you don't necessarily think about it meaning someone is going to lose their sanity but when you really think about it and what it means you end up figuring out that that's what it represents. I thought it was a really good way of using description and it represented the use of microfiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment