Wednesday, November 6, 2013

fiction packet 3

Okay so since this is finally letting me post it....here's what I thought about fiction packet 3. First off, it's really strange. The stories I mean. They weren't what I expected at all.
So since we already had class Tuesday and my blog wouldn't let me post until now....I'll do post about what I thought about the stories and also a little bit of what my group talked about.

The story I chose to really look at, and also my group chose to look at was "When It Rains Its Rains A River." The first thing I noticed was that there was a sense of rhythm to the story. It kind of reminded me of a poem. The second thing that I noticed was that there was a lot of repetition throughout the story. The words that I noticed that were repeated a lot were "Us Brothers," "mud," "rain," "fish," and also "Girl." There were a few other words but those were the main ones. This short story kind of reminded me of a poem more than a short story because of all the repetition.

Next, there were a few passages that really made me think. My group had also talked about theses passages. The first one is "When the  rain stops drumming down, us brothers, we drop down onto our hands and knees, down in mud, and we begin to eat. We eat until our bellies are big with mud." I found that passage to be really interesting. You could take it one of two ways. First, I took it as the literal meaning that they were actually eating mud. Which really grossed me out and I was like why would someone write about this?? Then, my group pointed out that you could take it as a metaphor because mud is essentially dirt which is the building  block for life itself.

Another passage that I found to be interesting was "When we dive inside each f these moons, each moon shatters into a billion pieces. Each chunk becomes a star." I found that to be interesting because it makes me think of relationships. My group also talked about this and we talked about how it's a way of explaining that sometimes in a relationship you an dive right in or be deep and really committed in a relationship and still you will get your heart broken.

One other passage we looked at and discussed, and even I sat there and thought about before lass on Tuesday, was "Watch us borthers reach out to these buring fish fires with our hands mittened with mud. We stick our hands, unfisted, into this fire." I found that to be interesting because it's like when you reach out for help. If you are seen with closed fists it's like you're closed off and don't want to reieve help. But, if you reach out with an open hand, it shows that you're open to receiving help.

No comments:

Post a Comment