Sunday, November 24, 2013

Maps to Anywhere..

One of the only parts of this book that I can relate to is the various parts where Bernard talks about his brother's disease and his brothers death. Although I have never had to deal with losing a sibling or going through a life threatening disease with my brother, I know what it's like to lose someone that you're close to.

On pg. 101 it says "It rained the evening my brother died. As we drove home from the hospital, another city was reflected in the pavement." I liked that passage because it helps paint a picture in your head. You can see the sadness that was felt within the family for their loss through the weather. I'm sure many people can relate to that. It always seems like the sad days like that are when the weather is depressing...or at least that's how it has been with my experience.

Another passage that I really liked was on pg 123. "Home from B.J.'s, Gary complained of a pain in his chest. Martin and my mother tended him til midnight. I sat with my father and Anna in the living room. To spare me from worry, they spoke in euphemisms, but I knew the passing, the peace, the rest they mentioned was a frightful and final thing. For a year now, all references to death had been banished from the family's conversation , and phrases which had once been common...." I liked this passage because I can also relate to it. When times got tough with my grandpa, and even know with things getting tough my with grandma, my family shut out all talks about death and sickness because they didn't want everyone to know how bad it all really is. I feel like that's a typical reaction for people when they realize it's getting close to the end.

The parts of the book where it talked about the brother's illness and his death, was one of the only parts I was able to be interested in and relate to. I feel like many people are able to relate to that part of the book as well and that helps people stay interested in the story they are reading.

1 comment:

  1. I've gotten behind on the blogs lately, but you are still doing a really great job reading, thinking about the reading, and posting your responses. Nice work using examples and thinking deeply about some of the ideas here.

    ReplyDelete