Sunday, November 10, 2013

Goldberg Packet

So, as I read through this packet, I started to wonder if my writing sucks because I don't take the time to do the stuff Goldberg suggests doing to help you with your writing. I have never in my life had to write stories before. Well, maybe back when I was in elementary school. But all throughout middle school and high school, and even the two semesters of college I had already previously taken, I never wrote any stories. I always had to write papers to inform people or persuade people or something like that. So it seems like, for me, I may be able to come up with a semi decent story in my head but when I put it down on paper, it truly just sucks.

One thing that Goldberg mentioned that I never take the time to do is to try something unusual to help you get ideas to write. The example given was if you're a nonsmoker, just stick a cigarette in your mouth (even if it's not lit). It was said that when you do this it's a way to pretty much get your creative juices flowing because you're almost put into a different character. I don't think it was meant as you specifically have to try that one example, but you just have to do something different in order to help you with your writing. For me, I never do anything different. Most times I'm sitting in my pjs with my laptop on my bed or at my desk and I just look at what it is I'm supposed to write and I just start attempting to write from there. I do that every time. So maybe if I do change up my writing process, maybe...just maybe, I'll have some better luck with writing and being creative.

Another thing that was mentioned that I never take the time to do is to wait a while before I read what I wrote. Goldberg says to do this because time allows for distance and objectivity. For me, when I write, I'm trying to fit it in during the busy life of a college student who works pretty much full time and goes to school full time.....so..... I write whatever it is I have to write and try to go back afterwards and edit it without allowing any real time in between. Maybe on occasion there is a day break or so between my writing and reading of my writing, but that doesn't happen very often.

Overall, Goldberg did give me different ideas of what I could try to do to help me with my writing, but for now...those two that I mentioned seem like the ones that I'll most likely have the time to try. I suppose that we'll see how it goes and hopefully my writing will improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment