Sunday, November 17, 2013

Mint Snowball

Out of all of the essays we've read so far, the one that I enjoyed the most is "Mint Snowball." I like that it's an essay based on one of the things that this person remembers their great-grandfather by. Coming from someone who has lost their grandfather, it's nice to have something to remember them by; although my memory is that he just sat in front of the tv for as long as I can remember and it was a big deal if he allowed you to change the channel or sit in his chair.

In the second paragraph of this story, the author gives a nice description of what that Mint Snowball is and how it's made. It starts with "First, he stirred fresh mint leaves with sugar and secret ingredients in a small pot...." and it continues to the bottom of the page on page 94. I like how much description the author uses because even if you didn't really take the time to look at this essay in great detail or if you only read that much of the story, you have an idea of what they are talking about. You can picture it all in your mind because of that description.

I also like how on pg 95 it talks about how her great-grandfather sold the recipe to someone in town instead of passing down the recipe in their family. She talked about how her grandfather's feelings were hurt and how her mother has tried to recreate it and came close once but lost the paper she wrote the ingredients down on. I liked this part of the story as well because it showed how much the family really enjoyed the Mint Snowballs that their great-grandfather created because they kept trying to recreate it and they were hurt that he didn't pass it down. I can think of recipes that my mom talks about that she wishes would've been shared with her by people in her family, so I can relate to this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment